Friday, March 6, 2009

Oh my, thirty-nine...


Yes, I had a birthday on Wednesday.  My children have been announcing to the world that Mommy's birthday is on Wednesday and she is turning 39!!!  Don't you love it... there are no secrets in a house with little ones.  If you are around my children very much at all, you would know that comments like, "Mom?  Why does that man have long hair like a girl?" or "Mom... you have a big tummy.  Are you having a baby?" are all very normal in our household (and usually in the most uncomfortable situations).  You gotta love it :)

Tuesday night, I received this note on my bed from my 5-year-old:


On Wednesday, after the kids' chapels and helping out in Isaac's class, Matthew and Abby took me to lunch at PF Chang's.  Abby and I had a fun time going out with Daddy at his lunch hour :)  What a special treat :)  Right after lunch, we dashed back to pick up the boys from school.  With a quick stop by the house to change, we are back at the baseball field for Seth's practice, then off to church for AWANA.  At church, the High School group crashed the Sparky game time to serenade me for my birthday!!!  You guys are great!  

When the day finally slowed, and the kids were in bed, I found 8 voice messages, a text message, an email, and a card in the mail wishing me a Happy Birthday... and that didn't even include the call from Bruce at 7:30 am!  I also found a lovely floral arrangement and a beautifully wrapped package by the front door!!!  I am so spoiled :)


Isaac - all ready for practice :)

Yeah!!!  A new phone that keeps my calendar & my contacts!  Now I just need to figure out how it works... LOL 




On Thursday, my sweet husband arranged to be home by 4, so that we can go out as a family to celebrate my birthday.  Matthew even made the kids vow to have good attitudes and get along the entire time that we are "celebrating" :)  As a part of my present, I didn't even have to take Isaac to baseball practice (or pick him up!) that night!  I do have to confess... when Matthew called during the day to make sure that things are all lined up so that we can fit dinner in at 4, I told him that I would be so much happier if we could just all stay home, get homework done, and work on getting the house cleaned up!!!  (Yes, a messy dirty house makes a grumpy mom!)  Matthew's response was, "Nope... you don't get to do what makes you happy.  It's your birthday and we are going to go celebrate!"  Thanks, Babe, for always making me have fun, whether I want to or not :)

I am so thankful for each one of you that took the time to remember and to call (from near and FAR!)... I do feel very loved and so blessed to have so many special people in life!!!  Thank you, Matthew, for treating me like a princess and celebrating me :)  You DO deserve to have a bonus!     



3 comments:

himandhermuller said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Alice!!! Even though, a few days has passed, Happy Birthday! With late wishes, it makes your special day spread out and that is so much fun. Your family is so cute and I love that they are all so excited to celebrate their Mom. So wonderful!

Love you,
Lissa

PS. I have the same bedspread...so funny and great taste.

Bethany said...

Super cute post, Al! You WERE spoiled! As you should be. Matthew is so good for you - I am glad he made you have fun! We love you, birthday queen!

Grammy Julee said...

Oh Alice! You can't possibly be 39! There must have been an error on your birth certificate..... I'm sure you are off by about 10 years. Matthew is blessed to have a wife who is so beautiful on the inside and out, and who carries her age very well. I'm glad you are family -- even if I don't see you often.