Monday, May 26, 2008

Daddy... I'm ready to go on our DATE!!!

Matthew and Abby are on a date right now... to Starbucks. Abby "won" the gift card under her seat at Selah & Kenny's wedding a few weeks ago (she was THE flower girl). She asked her daddy for a date and said "I'll pay!". So cute! I love that she loves to go on dates with Daddy and that Daddy makes time to go on dates with his daughter. As they left hand-in-hand this morning, my heart breaks again for the Chapmans.

This last Wednesday, Steven Curtis Chapman's 5-year-old daughter died of a tragic car accident. Matthew called me with that news while I was working in Isaac's classroom (last time this school year!). The news hit me like a ton of bricks. I "grew up" on SCC's music. When I became a Christian in '88, I stopped listening to secular music (I know, probably a bit legalistic, but that was what I had decided). Even though I didn't know this family in person, I have always loved Steven's music and the Biblically solid lyrics that grounded me in the Lord. This little girl, Maria Sue, was the youngest of 3 Chinese daughters that the Chapmans have adopted through their ministry -- Shaohannah's Hope.

When I got home, I tried to look up the details of the accident. I couldn't find much, except that Maria was struck in the driveway at home, by the SUV that her brother was driving. My heart broke again as hot tears streamed down my cheeks. I got on my knees and prayed for the brother and for the family... how incredibly sad to have a double tragedy.

As I sat in the quietness of my home (this was a Thursday, Abby is in school until noon) and listened to the song that SCC wrote for his little girls, Cinderella, my mind shifted from the Chapmans to my family. I am so thankful that even in the crazy busyness of our lives, my dear husband carves out time for me and for my kids -- time to go on dates with his little princess, time to "train" for the 4th of July 5K with Seth & Isaac, time to play baseball, time to play "Hippopotamus" (a version of HORSE) in the backyard... I pray that we will never forget to intentionally take that time to build those special memories with our kiddos.

I am so blessed!!!



God is God and I am not
I can only see a part of the picture He's painting
God is God and I am man
So I'll never understand it all
For only God is God...

1 comment:

heather said...

How cute your little ones are. I so enjoy reading you blog.I had no idea about the accident. I will keep them in my prayers I can't even imagine how horrible that is.