Monday, June 2, 2008

Ponytails



There once was a little girl who woke up one morning,
looked in the mirror,
and noticed that she had only three hairs on her head.

"Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today?"
So she did and she had a wonderful day.



The next day she woke up,
looked in the mirror,
and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.

"H-M-M," she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today?"
So she did and she had a grand day.


The next day she woke up,
looked in the mirror
and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.

"Well," she said, "today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail."
So she did and she had a fun day.


The next day she woke up,
looked in the mirror
and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"YEA!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"



Brielle Murray, the little girl that wrote this poem, is a 10 year-old at our school. She was diagnosed with cancer in January of this year. Isaac was in the same class as her sister, Kylin, in Kindergarten a couple of years ago.

Rick Fruh, the father of a little boy that was also in Isaac's class a couple of years in a row, was also diagnosed with cancer just a couple of months ago.



In support of these precious families, a couple of families at school coordinated a "ponytail drive" to allow the girls and their moms to donate their hair to Pantene or Locks-of-Love (organizations that collect hair to make into wigs for cancer patients). In honor of Brielle and Rick, Abby and I (along with another 130 or so girls/moms) participated in the Ponytail Drive today.



Here we go, Abby! This is our "before" picture :)


You go first... good job sitting still :)





Look at your prettyPONYTAIL!!!








A big handful of hair to donate!


The event was truly heart felt -- the girls went all out and transformed the PE/basketball court area into a upscaled outdoor hair salon with hot pink boas, zebra prints, beautiful fresh flowers and great posters (made by students, teachers, and friends -- to honor or remember someone in their lives that had been touched by cancer). There were about 20 stylists that came to volunteer their time and expertise. We not only got to donate our ponytails... we also got a nice haircut! We also got to enjoy yummy cookies, brownies, fruits and other treats that many of the moms generously donated to the Snack Table :) I am always amazed to see the love of God pouring out of people, even with something as personal as hair! How refreshing to see the body of Christ in action! I was proud of my daughter's heart to give her beloved hair (she really likes her hair... almost as much as her daddy likes her long hair!) to someone that NEEDS it. Good job, Abby! A princess is beautiful both on the inside and the outside :)


Ta Da!!! Two girls with short(er) hair :)


2 comments:

Bethany said...

I am totally crying. There is something so sweet and self-sacrificing about giving up your hair for someone who needs it. And that poem... so precious. I am so proud of you both for growing out your beautiful hair knowing that you would give it away. Added benefit: your new cuts are sooo cute! Abby's new bob... oh, so cute! I love you both, my beautiful family!

Anna said...

Beautiful new 'do's, ladies. But even more beautiful is the joy it will bring to others!