Friday, April 3, 2009

Sin in this Fallen World

Often, we feel so safe and immune from the effects of other people's sin nature, especially around our own stomping grounds.  Well, today, my "bubble" got burst by a stranger :(

This has been one of those weeks that I HAD to write down the list of the things that I needed to accomplish each night before I turn in (I do typically jot down a couple things that I don't want to forget to do in the morning... but this week, I not only wrote each item down in detail, I numbered them in the order of priority and then wrote them in the order of the driving route.  I also wrote down phone numbers for the different places and people that I needed to contact, just to make sure I had all the info at my finger tips.).  So, this morning, armed with my great list and the stack of "stuff" that I needed to take care of, I charged out the door (well... after dropping the kids off at school and taking care of my husband's hot breakfast needs, of course :)!  As always, I set my pile of stuff on the center console (bad idea #1).  I had 8 stops to make between 10:30 am to 12:15 pm -- with Stop #6, Bank of America, to deposit a check for my mother.  Sometime around 11:30 (stop #5), I discovered that the stuff on the center console had fallen between seats (pretty common, I guess, for the way I drive?!?).  At the next red light, I fished out my list of things to do and my Communion shopping list, but hmmm... where is that checkbook and the check that I was suppose to deposit???  I'm sure I brought it... didn't I?  

Quickly, I reordered my "places to go" and stopped at a parking lot and tore apart both front seats, checked all the nooks and crannies (and decided that I really need to detail my car... but not today), still, no checkbook.  "Maybe I DID leave it at home... alright, 6 out of 8 things crossed off at noon, I'm still doing pretty good :)" I muttered to myself.  After zipping through Vons for the rest of the Communion stuff, getting Abby home and fed, and meeting with the gal that is bidding on the grass replacement of our back yard... Abby and I looked all throughout the house and the car (again)... still nothing.  So, I called Bank of America to check the recent transactions.  Low and behold, someone STOLE the checkbook, the ATM card, and the check that I was suppose to deposit!!!  Not only that, they had already used the card twice!  AHHHH... I thought I lived in a nice neighborhood!!!  I feel so violated... plus they really messed up my tight schedule and added more "stuff" for me to do!  Can you believe it?!?!?

So often, I am so oblivious of God's protection and guidance over me, that is, until something unusually happens.  With this incident, for example, I am so thankful that God had prompted me to be organized today (so that I knew that I didn't stuff the checkbook some place "really safe", I just can't remember where right now!).  Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to act quickly and for guiding me in knowing who to contact and how to take care of life!  Although I want justice to be done and the thief to be caught, I pray that if this thief really needed that $102 worth of groceries at Walmart, he or she would have used this "free" transaction wisely.  I pray that his/her conscience would be pricked by his/her sinful actions and that God will be exalted and His will revealed!!! 
   

No comments: